Wednesday, March 25, 2009

three wishes

Every Wednesday we get a big red folder sent home in Gage's backpack. It's full of art work, class work & information about what they've been doing. I'm always surprised at the things that I find. Today it was a green, shamrock shaped booklet with his name handwritten on the front along with a sticker that says IRISH. I'm guessing this was a St. Patrick's Day project. On the cover the text read...

I keep three wishes ready
In case I should meet
Any day a fairy
Flying down the street


Inside there are three lined pages on which Gage was able to write his three wishes and draw a picture of the wish. I was most amused by page #1 although #2 is not something I would have expected either.

Page 1 reads "more mony" with a very realistic image of a dollar bill.
Now I'm not really sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'm pleased that he has acknowledged that money is hard to come by and is not readily available at all times for things like #3 however I'm also a little disturbed that money is so important to a five and half year old that it was the VERY FIRST thing that he thought of. Now there is a possibility that the person next to him came up with the idea and he just copied it but I think I'm reaching with that one...

Page 2 reads "zuzu was older" with a picture of a face with three antenna like sprouts coming out of it's head. I have to assume that they are pony tails. This one is actually pretty cool and I'm impressed that he was able to get past superficial toy wishes (like #3) and come up with something so meaningful (which also gives me cause to assume that #1 was his original idea). Gage has been making comments lately about how Zuzu is becoming more fun as she gets older and it's obvious in their one-on-one interactions (when they are not kicking or hitting eachother that is). She has finally become a real person and, although I was (and still am) and only child, I think that both excites him and scares the living hell out of him at the same time.

Page 3 reads"darth maul lego" with a picture of a lego man.
The predictable answer and the only one the flying fairy might actually provide some day. All she has to do is read the two page birthday list. For his OCTOBER birthday.

So...what's on your list for the flying fairy?

No comments: