Thursday, March 19, 2009

bueller? bueller? bueller?


It seems like we've been talking about Little League for five years now (oh yeah, we probably have) and now we find ourselves only two days away from Opening Day. But before we can officially begin the season we must participate in The Parade. I've never actually seen the parade for myself (probably has something to do with the fact that it begins at 9:00 am on a Saturday) but rumor has it that it's quite an ordeal and for some reason I just can not get the image of Ferris Bueller out of my mind...or the song *Twist & Shout* for that matter.

The parents aren't actually allowed to join in the parade so the lucky rookie coach gets to manage a dozen 5 & 6 year olds that he has met once while walking about a mile through town. Good luck, Coach. If you can do this I'm sure we're in for one hell of a season!

We had our first practice yesterday although I suppose I should have put *practice* in quotes because I'm not actually sure it did anything to actually prepare us for the first game on Sunday. I have a sinking suspicion that some of the kids don't even know which order to run the bases. Or when. Should make for quite an amusing competition.

Here are some shots from our virgin practice...

Three classmates listen carefully to the Coach's welcoming speech. They seem to be taking this all very seriously...


Something about this picture reminded me of the Bad News Bears...


Gage's favorite part of Little League is the batting helmet. He had to be coerced into removing it when practice was over. But considering the proliferation of head lice in our schools he might just get his wish and earn one of his very own...


The most amusing part of the hour for me was the outfielding. The kids practiced in groups of four. One hitter and three fielders. But what none of the boys have yet to grasp is that they are ALL ON THE SAME TEAM...


And of course little miss Zuzu happily entertained the sibling masses with her barefoot bohemian adventures & princess art supplies...


No comments: