Today was a good day. In fact, according to Gage, it might very well have been the best day of his life so far.
The kids found various ways to entertain themselves this afternoon. Granted, most of them grossed me out or irked me to no end but that's not the point. I looked beyond the algae on their feet, the soaking wet clothes & the piles of pillows on the floor and sat back to just enjoy them (while sipping a beer & twittering about them of course). They were creative and they had a blast. The laughter and joy the two of them created together was indescribable.
When we sat down to dinner Gage announced that this was "the best day of his life". I saw this as a rare opportunity so I stood on my proverbial soap box and gave a lesson that went something like this...
"Do you know why this was such a great day? You didn't get a new toy. You didn't have a play date. But, what you did do was work with your sister to get creative and try new things. You made this the best day of your life all by yourself."
To which Gage responded (almost verbatim because I immediately ran and wrote it all down while wiping a tear from my eye)...
"If I ever say something like 'Give away Zuzu' it was a mistake because she is really fun. (pause) Almost the best thing I have. (pause) Maybe it is the best thing I have."
So what if she's an "it". I'm ok with that.
3 comments:
That is sooooooo sweet!
Yep, you've got to write those moments down! I miss those California days involving seaweed and other gross stuff not involving dog poop, cigarette butts & old man spit (the gross stuff on Berlin streets). Can't wait to get back home!
Hadn't read this until today. I can imagine the warm happy mom feeling you had then. Love was all around..................
Bottle it!!!!
Post a Comment