No, I'm not going to get all sappy on you here. I am, however, going to share with you how I spent far too much time on google tonight trying to answer a simple question asked innocently by our five year old last night. (And subsequently spent far too much time trying to explain it to you here.)
Gage wanted to know why a "friendship" has to have a "ship" in it..."I mean it's just a friend and a friend...where did the ship come from?" Things that make you go hmmmm. (And make you thankful for the vast expanse of the internet). Maybe.
After stumbling through a few websites (including wikipedia) that simply defined the meaning of friendship as "a term used to denote co-operative and supportive behavior between two or more people" blah, blah, blah... I found this on Bartleby.com:
"The suffix -ship has a long history in English. It goes back to the Old English suffix -scipe, which was attached to adjectives and nouns to indicate a particular state or condition: hardship, friendship. In Modern English the suffix has been added only to nouns and usually indicates a state or condition (authorship, kinship, partnership, relationship), the qualities belonging to a class of human beings (craftsmanship, horsemanship, sportsmanship), or rank or office ."
Upon further research, I confirmed this definition of scipe in an Old English Dictionary:
"scipe [] m (-es/-as) 1. pay, stipend; 2. state, condition, dignity, office; 3. position, rank; 4. ge~ n (-es/-u) fate"
Not sure how you actually translate this to a five year old but at least we no longer suspect that it the word had something to do with the camaraderie found after spending time on a ship. Yes, that was a theory. Not mine. But a theory.
1 comment:
What a good mom you are!!! Think of all the questions fielded by parents over the years.... and they didn't have any of our resources. The ying and the yang of the internet....:-)
Post a Comment