Saturday, January 17, 2009

tiny dancer


This is no ordinary pair of ballet slippers. This is Zuzu's very first pair of ballet slippers.

No, they were not custom made one of a kind slippers & they don't have any magical powers but this seemingly silly twenty-some dollar purchase marks a special time in my life. Unfortunately, I don't think the teenage sales clerk had any concept of why I was so teary eyed while Zuzu was trying them on. Hell with her. She might get it some day.

As a child I loved to dance more than anything in the world. Looking back, I can't even imagine how hard it was on my working mom to shuffle me back and forth to the studio three or more times a week for tap, ballet, pointe & jazz classes. Then she had to buy shoes for each class every time my feet grew or I wore them out...not to mention all the darling leotards & costumes to go with them. But that was my passion and she supported it. (thanks mom!)

I was a dancer. And now my little girl has her very own ballet slippers. I'm filled with so many emotions today that make me grateful for everything I had and all that I am able to provide for my children. (I'm also feeling a little depressed that I'm old enough to feel this way but that's another post).

So, dance she may. Or she may not. But either way she has her very first pair of ballet slippers. And no one can take that away from me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, what a special time for you!!! I'm teary reading it. My arms go around special moments like these - wallow in it for a bit. I loved every minute of it with you, just as you will with Zu.....xo

Susan said...

Awwww Momma! And to little Zuzu-"I Hope You Dance"!!!!

Jeanne Elle said...

My daughter got her first pair when she was three, and I still have them (she's six). I will keep them forever!! I know how you feel :-)