Sunday, December 28, 2008

did I really say that?

I admit, I have quite a few parenting pet peeves, most of which I normally keep very well to myself. One, for instance, I hear a lot. It sounds something like this, "Just wait until I tell your father" or "Your father is not going to be happy". You know. You've heard it too.

This one always really irked me. I mean, why does mom not have enough clout to discipline on her own? What power does dad have that mom doesn't? I swear, I've never said anything close. Until last night.

See, we're on vacation and the four of us are staying in one large room. Scott was out with some friends and it was time to go to sleep. Gage was exhausted and comfortable in his bed, but Zuzu was sitting up in hers whining repeatedly, "But I don't want to sleep". You know, that drawn out "waaaannnntttt"? So annoying.

I tried bribing her. I tried threatening her. I stayed calm. I got mad. Nothing. I felt so badly for Gage who didn't say a word but I knew was trying to get to sleep. Finally it just came out. I honestly have no idea exactly what I said but in effect it was, "I'm going to tell Daddy that you wouldn't go to sleep and he's going to be mad."

And then. She went to sleep. Just like that. It worked. Talk about bittersweet.

4 comments:

Boody Babies said...

For some reason, dad has more...not power...but something. For instance, I can yell and threaten and punish to no avail, but all dad has to do is give a disappointed look and the waterworks pour forth....go figure!

Susan said...

You know-I bet if the shoe were on the other foot and Daddy said he'd tell Mommy- the result would be the same. But Daddy's rarely sick the momma on the baby-they wanna be heroes and handle it alone! At any rate, Im glad you got the mission accomplished!

Anonymous said...

Think it worked so well because you DON'T use that ploy usually. She wasn't sure what would happen so she stopped pushing buttons........Must have been soooooo frustrating. XO

kristi said...

All so true!