Thursday, December 11, 2008

the big fat & jolly lie

If you've been keeping up this month you are aware that I struggle every time the subject of Santa Claus comes up in our house. I blogged about it here and here.

We tend to be very open and honest and my children speak their minds almost to a fault (like when Gage announced at a friend's dinner table last night that he really hadn't wanted to go there because the friend is no longer one of his classmates...and how was sad that his mom made him anyway...but that once he arrived and started playing he was very happy and thankful to be there).

But I digress. I was talking about Santa and the fact that HE IS NOT REAL. Anyway, today we spent hours playing with our magna tiles both with friends and after they left. Magna tiles are one of our single most favorite activities. The kids got two sets for Hanukkah last year. (Yes, we go both ways). Did I digress again?

Now, not only are magna tiles super fun...but the kids inevitably end up arguing about who has more and there are NEVER enough to go around. Reason being...they are also super expensive.

So, at the end of the night as we are brushing our teeth Gage starts in...
gage: maybe we could add more magna tiles to our Christmas list
mom: well sweetie, we already have magna tiles and they are very, very...
gage: I know, expensive (swear - he did this)
mom: yes, they are very expensive
gage: but they don't cost money for Santa
mom: (thinking, ok, he's got a point. theoretically)
mom: true, but Santa can't give you everything you want and we've already asked for quite a bit so let's just leave it at that

He was satisfied.
I, again, felt like a big fat liar.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I am still laughing heartily at that!!! No smiley face could be big enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are one great mother - evidenced by your kids
XXXXXOOOOO