Friday, September 12, 2008

a laughing matter

Tonight at dinner, Gage told us about a game that he learned from his new friends in Kindergarten (somehow I think we can expect many more of these). He called it a "blinking contest" but I call it a "staring contest" and either way I'm undeniably lousy at it. Fortunately, after one round it reminded me of another game we could play so we moved on to...what's a good name for it?...well, for lack of a more astute mind at the moment, a "make me laugh" contest.

Gage and I got right into it and he was absolutely hysterical. He won by a landslide but heck if it isn't way more fun than staring blankly into each others eyes. The three grown ups at the table were quite literally rolling in laughter as Gage and I acted like monkeys, birds, trees, robots, and even refrigerators all in hopes of generating a few laughs. Yup. Refrigerators. He thought of that one and it was almost as funny as his spastic robot.

Sure, it's probably one of those "you had to be there" moments...and a camera never would have done the experience any justice but I guess the point of my story tonight is to remember how fun it is sometimes to be random and spontaneous and childish. And that I wish we all did it more often.

No comments: