As I sat watching Zuzu having the time of her life with four very wet frogs streaming water from their little fountain mouths I had an evil realization. Those money hungry, conniving retail experts (and yes, I was one of them) strategically placed the over abundance of fountains for reasons other than sheer ambiance, didn't they? The one Zuzu and I were exploring was smack dab in front of Gymboree and, come to think of it, there's one in front of Nordstrom's, Baby Gap, Janie & Jack and one down by Macy's too (although Macy's has recently pulled children's wear out of this mall - don't get me started there - so they have failed with that particular fountain.)
What a brilliant premise. Kids are 100% engaged in independent play (and a wise mom NEVER interrupts independent play) which gives mom the rare opportunity to make overdue phone calls, check email & quietly sip a latte in the sun (oh, no, not me, I was very attentive to Zuzu of course). Then mom, too lazy to carry a second set of clothing, is forced to head to the nearest retail outlet for some dry clothes...and an outfit for the sibling at home so that no jealousy ensues.
Well not me. I was determined not to give in to their trickery. Once I realized what was going on, I simply picked up my soaking wet toddler, threw her in the stroller and took her home in her undergarments. After 15 minutes in the fountain she was far too numb with joy and laughter to know the difference. Besides, I'd already spent quite enough money on the absolutely essential items at the Apple store!
Thursday, March 20, 2008
the psychology of mall fountains
Labels:
random musings
No comments:
Post a Comment