Who knew that tag was not just for kids anymore? No, this is not a shameless plug for Scott's new agency as tag should not be confused with t.a.g (which has recently launched their still raw website). Apparently, this game of tag is not unlike the one you played as a child and quite unfortunately reminds me somewhat of a grown-up chain letter.
I was "tagged" by my friend Jill at everyone is doin' it, the one who inspired this blog in the first place. The tag charges me with a "meme" or as she defined it:
"An idea that is shared and passed from blog to blog, such as a question posted in one blog and answered in many other blogs."
One week with a blog and I feel like I'm learning a whole new language. This particular "meme" requires me to share a quote and then tag three other bloggers. The quote part seems fairly easy especially since Scott and I have been knee deep in quotes lately trying to find the perfect one for our new Blair Bradshaw canvas which will look something like this Blair Bradshaw gem:
I digress. Now, the problem at hand is not the quote but the fact that I am brand new to this blog scene and tend to be very slow making friends and therefore have a very limited selection of folks to tag! We'll get to that in a bit.
The quote.
Last January I was in a battle with myself - VP vs. Mommy - trying to find a sound balance running a business and raising a family with no grandparents within 3000 miles and an incredibly successful hubby who justifiably devotes a great deal of time to his trade. It was during this time that my friend Elizabeth brought me an article called 'The Station' from a 1987 LA Times. It was written by a man named Robert J. Hastings. There is a handwritten note on the photocopy that reads:
"I found this in Kevin's wallet, please read, share, make copies...this was so Kevin. -Gail Shahan"
Kevin Shahan was a VP in our Finance Department in his early 40's. He was standing in a ski lift line in Tahoe with his teenage son the prior year when he died of a sudden heart attack.
The article he carried with him compares the journey of life to a train ride. It's too long to include in its entirety but the parts that seem to sum it up best go like this:
"Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us...Life must be lived as we go along. The station will come soon enough."
The sentiment is also echoed in the words of a John Lennon song that we sing frequently:
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
A week or so later I quit my job to stay home full time with the kids.
Now to the hard part.
I tag my cousins, James and Christian Mason, singers, songwriters & musicians... and the closest friends I know that have a blog. (although their blog is designed to promote the Mason Brothers music so I won't fault them in the least if they choose not to include this "meme" and unlike chain mail, no bad luck comes with not following through!)
I also tag Emmalee, whom I've actually never met but is soon to be my cousin-in-law. Welcome my side of the family Emmalee!
No comments:
Post a Comment