Friday, April 17, 2009

unplugged

I do not have an addictive personality. Never have. I practice some pretty consistent rituals, like a daily grande non-fat latte with one pump of mocha, but this is a choice, not an addiction. Truly. But that's not the point here. The point is that last night I got my first real taste of *addiction*.

Hi, my name is Kristi & I am a cyberholic. That's it. I said it.

Last night, my internet went down. At 9:30pm. Prime time. I hopped around from website to website. Nothing. I restarted the computer. Nothing. I hopped around from website to website again. Nothing. I shut down the computer and re-booted. Nothing. I sat and stared at the computer. Nothing. I then determined that I could deal with not blogging & that I could twitter & facebook from my iphone. So I turned on my phone. Nothing. I was cut off. Severed. I couldn't tweet. I couldn't blog. I couldn't facebook. I couldn't check my mail. I couldn't surf the web. Nothing.

I got the shakes.

Now, I must admit that there was a probable fix for my situation because this has happened before. The solution simply involves a dozen paces into the next room to unplug and re-plug the modem. Works nearly every time. But last night was an unusual circumstance because my dear father in law was sleeping in that very room. The horror.

I did walk quietly to the door, knock softly and ask politely, "are you still awake in there?" Nothing. In my defense, I probably could have tip-toed in quietly and done the deed without him even flinching and I didn't so I had some self control. Even though I spent the next two hours staring longingly at a closed metal box, I was controlled enough not to intrude on a sleeping relative just to get my fix. Right? Please tell me I'm right...

No comments: