Saturday, November 8, 2008

dear santa,

The kids have officially started their "Dear Santa," notes. This process is by request by...well..."Santa". Gage is adding things to the list at record speed and Zuzu simply wants everything that Gage wants...but in pink.

I have to say I'm having a very hard time with this whole Santa thing. We never really discussed it with Gage prior to Christmas morning and Zuzu is finally at an age where she is actively listening to our conversations. Tonight Gage wanted to know if Santa was a real human being and, of course, the obvious question, "how does Santa know where we live?" (or in our case, where Grandma lives). I suppose most parents have a ton of fun with this, and I wish I did, but the whole thing really just makes me feel like a big fat liar.

Up next...the tooth fairy. Looking forward to that one (sarcasm included).

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sometimes you're in the mood to have fun with Christmas, sometimes you're not. Give it a month and then do something really festive, like a Christmas concert or tree shopping (after 2 shots of peppermint schnapps) or a trip to someplace that does Christmas really well. Hey! I hear that German Christmas markets are about the most festive places on earth from Nov 24-Dec 24! Sure Nuremberg is the best, but Berlin has lots too!

JCB said...

I have a fairly religious friend who feels strongly about telling her children the truth about Santa -- especially when they ask. Her reasoning is that she wants them to believe in someone else very important that time of year and fears that when (eventually) they find out that she's been lying about Santa, they will then question Jesus. An interesting perspective that I had not considered before.

Luckily, we don't really have to deal with it in our house per se. Grandma Paula (my husband's mom) is the harbinger of Xmas presents. And Hanukkah presents come from good ole mom and dad.

kristi said...

This morning Gage wanted to know how Santa would get his toys from Toys R Us. He's not really interested in the toys that the elves make. He just wants his legos!