It all started when Gage's brand new friend, who's family just moved here from Texas, spied our something shiny on the bookshelf.
friend: What's that thing on your bookshelf?
me: Which thing?
friend: That gold thing?
me: That's a menorah. It's a traditional candle holder in the Jewish religion.
friend, turning to gage: You're JEWISH?
{mind you, have you seen our pasty white, blue eyed, toe-headed son?}
gage: Yes, I'm Jewish. My dad is Jewish. And my mom is....
{even he is stumped}
friend: Christian?
gage: yeah, Christian
me : {quiet while we all assess the situation}
friend, to gage: So do you believe in Jesus?
gage, without pause: Who's that?
me: {wanting to say... honey, people can believe in Jesus in many different ways. But reminding myself that he is SIX YEARS OLD and his parents are NOT HERE... and not knowing what in the world else to say} honey, we don't really talk so much about religion in our house. CLEARLY.
They moved on.
Case closed.
But is it?
Our children hail from two very proud, and very different backgrounds. Their ancestors and grandparents are followers of both the Jewish and Christian religions.
They have been to services for the High Holy Days (of course the local Temple holds their chidren's services in a nearby Church... go figure) and have partaken in Passover dinner. They've lit the candles on the menorah and can sing the blessing. The hunt for Easter eggs and their stockings get filled by Santa on Christmas Eve. But they've never been taught religion. Just tradition.
Now please, do not judge. Because, you see, I do not judge you.
Now please, do not judge. Because, you see, I do not judge you.
But I did start to evaluate our children's exposure to religion and why our son has no idea who Jesus is. It seems we've talked about God and all of the possibilities that go along with life on earth. We've talked about inequality and injustice and, in a manageable sense, the persecution of the Jews. But I'm thinking that's pretty much as far as we've gotten. (Other family members feel free to raise hands if this is incorrect.) I suppose, in all fairness, I should say, that's as far as I'VE gotten.
We have good friends that observe Shabbat every Friday and attend Hebrew School. Others that would never miss Church or Bible study on Sunday. But no one really talks about it. And I like that. No, I love that. Is that so terrible? I love that my friends are all different and that no one gives a damn. I love that my life and my social interaction is not influenced by the God I choose to worship. Or not. But I think we've just been thrown a curve ball.
Like I told Gage's friend, we don't talk about religion in our house... but maybe we should. Give our children the tools that they need to take the spiritual path that's right for them when the time is right. Because clearly, mom and dad aren't driving that carpool.
1 comment:
I like.....
And "publish-worthy"
Post a Comment