Today I asked Gage to do some math homework. I know, I'm a terrible, cruel mother to do this less than 48 hours after school ended for summer. But I did.
Now, I'm not going to go into the whole story about how he got 99 out of 100 correct in 6 minutes and 45 seconds when there were a full 10 minutes allocated to the test, and then proceeded to throw a complete tizzy fit because of his utter imperfection. Or that the problem he missed was 9+8=16 when just three lines above he got 8+9=17 correct. Or that we had JUST spent a good amount of time reading his report card and discussing that the smartest and most accomplished of people make mistakes. And then learn from them. And that one of his goals for next year is to understand that making mistakes is acceptable and even encouraged. And I'm definitely not going to get into how this all makes me pull my hair out because I wonder if it's something that we've done to make him such a damn perfectionist or if he simply inherited that inescapable gene from his whack job parents. (No offense to his father).
Nope, I'm not. Instead I'm going to teach you the math that was not on the test but we learned just a few hours later.
child #1
+ summer vacation day #2
= positive strep diagnosis in 2010 #3
How's that for some math?
1 comment:
That child was tortured today!!!!
Isn't it heaven-sent that we can have reflection..........
Post a Comment