Sunday, February 14, 2010

ski week

I heard on the news the other day that it was snowing in 49 of the 50 states.  Hawaii was the only beach front spared.  Which makes it all the more glorious that I spent this mid-February day in Northern California wearing flip flops and driving with my windows down.

It also makes it all the more odd that tomorrow, in addition to observing President's Day with school closures, we also begin a week long holiday traditionally referred to as "ski week".  (In flip flops.)  Now I'm pretty sure the School Board technically refers to it as "winter break" but call it what you will, it still falls six weeks after we just returned to school from Christmas Break and seven weeks before we, yet again, break for Spring.  

And if that isn't disturbing enough, does anyone else find it a little presumptuous that the week is called "ski week"?  Because that would mean that everyone with school age children has the time, energy and funds to pack up, ditch work, travel to the actual snow, find lodging and then actually want to ski.  All of us?  The same week?  Really?

Oh, and where in the world was this cushy school schedule when I was 14?  Granted, it was South Florida but they could have called it "beach week", right?  Pretty much the same thing.  Only better.  (I'm just a wee bit biased.)

So tomorrow we begin our boycott of ski week with a trip to the zoo.  Along with three of my friends and their six respective children... who are all apparently not skiing either.  If I seem a bit absent from this blog, the shop, or the shop blog, or facebook, or twitter, well then, you know why.  I'm busy not skiing.  But I'll try to send photos.  Of our flip flops.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Right on! Who would want to go to Tahoe when the entire Bay Area is "scheduled" to go??

kristi said...

as it turned out, every bay area resident boycotting ski week went to the zoo today instead...