Wednesday, February 24, 2010

for poppy, with love.

I just had one of those moments where you just want to laugh your head off but somehow it feels inappropriate.  So I'm going to share it with you and see how you react. 

We were setting up the wii when a PSA with Jennifer Aniston came on.  Both kids stopped to watch.  She was sitting with a little girl about Gage's age who has just recovered from cancer.  She is frail and has no hair.  Jennifer delivers a positive message and the little girl proudly talks about how she's the only girl on her t-ball team.  I break the silence and say something like, "Wow,  she's an athlete like you, Zuzu." 

To which Zuzu responds, "that's not a girl, that's a boy." 

Four big eyes look up at me.  OK, so they didn't get it.  Without giving them much detail I say, "No, honey that's a girl.  She was very sick and she had to take some medicine that made her hair fall out.  She's a very brave girl and she's going to be fine now.  Don't worry, nothing like that will ever happen to you but if it did you would be super brave too." 

To which Zuzu immediately responds, "Maybe Poppy taked that medicine and it made his hair fall off too."

No comments: