We officially joined Club Penguin 30 days ago. In all honesty, I'd been forcing the kids to play without the membership until Grandma arrived. See, Grandmas typically give in a tad bit faster than Mommies. If you are not familiar with Club Penguin, it's an online Disney enterprise. An interactive penguin world where kids (and quite possibly some very bored adults) gather together. Think the Sims in penguin suits.
Each penguin gets his/her own igloo which you decorate to your comfort level (Gage got a disco floor today). You also dress & accessorize your penguin. Furniture & costumes are acquired by purchase with Club Penguin coins which you earn by playing games. You can also buy *puffles* which are essentially pets. You must monitor your pet to make sure it's had enough food, rest and energy or it just might run away. Yup, they high tail it out if you don't take proper care of them. Sadly, I think Gage is more attentive to his puffles needs than his actual dog's.
There is also a *special agent* feature. Needless to say, Gage has been anxiously checking his membership for his special agent qualifying status every day since we joined. Then miraculously yesterday it appeared. You would have thought that a Toys R Us with no cash registers flat out fell into our backyard. The kid was hysterical with joy.
"Mommy, I love you so much!" (it's ok, I'll take it when I can get it)
"This is my best day!" (really? damn. I've failed)
"I feel like I'm famous!" (whatever works to build self-esteem, right?)
So Gage's special agent penguin is now permitted to enter the security headquarters and have access to a special agent phone. He goes on special missions and has the unparalleled responsibility of monitoring the behavior of the other participating penguins. So please, be careful what your children say while playing because he takes this very, very seriously. I'm almost embarrassed for him. But not. Because secretly I know he's learning to read by anxiously watching all of the other penguins conversations. At least that's what I continue to tell myself.
But lookout. I fear his little sister just might hit secret agent status tomorrow.

1 comment:
Precious Gage!!!! I wish I'd been there to see that!!! Congratulate him for me...:-)
Post a Comment