Thursday, June 26, 2008

penny for your thoughts?

One of the kids latest obsessions? Pennies. Really any coins are accepted, but pennies are especially favored probably because of their often shiny appearance not to mention our willingness to give them up.

Last night while driving home from dinner each child held a penny. Gage was being especially precocious and knocked Zuzu's out of her hand. Someone in the car replaced it. He did it again. She was furious. I tried rationalizing with Gage that he now needed to hand over his penny to his sister. Now both kids are whining. It's late, I'm tired and frankly done negotiating for the day. I calmly turn around and say to both kids, but mainly to Gage, "Do you know what you can buy with a penny?" Consumer that he is, of course he is dying to know. "NOTHING", I respond.

Wouldn't you know what the little bugger immediately retorts?
"But Mommy, then I want a quarter!"

No comments: