Friday, January 28, 2011

elder abuse

Here's the scene:
We're in the car driving home from school.
We are stopped at the inevitable 10 minute red light.
There is a house to the left of us with an ugly, store bought sign that reads "NO PARKING" besides the gate that blocks their driveway.  There is a woman older than me that is visible inside the gate.

Here's the conversation:

Gage: Why is there a no parking sign up there?

Mom : Well, I suppose they don't want anyone blocking their driveway.  Although it's pretty obvious that it's a driveway. And not many people park on this street. (I'm bored and killing time) However maybe there is someone out there that just might not realize it's a driveway and that would be annoying because then she couldn't get her car out.  But basically it's just an unnecessary and stupid sign.  (Yes, I used the "s word" in front of my children).

Gage: Yeah, I don't think the sign needs to be there.  I mean who wants to park there anyway?

Mom: Maybe the woman that lives there is just a little picky.  That's ok.

Gage: Well, she is an old lady and you know how old people get like that.

Mom: bwahhhahahahahahahaaa

Gage: Why is that so funny?

Mom: Where did you get that???

Gage: I don't know but it's true.   But you are only forty and you just called her stupid so you'll probably never get picky like that.

Or will I?  And have I already?  
At least now I know who will be the first to point it out...

No comments: