Tuesday, January 26, 2010

soak it up

You know that saying, "watch what you say"?
Well, clearly I'm not doing such a good job at that.

A month or so back Gage and I were talking about college as we were laying down to sleep.  Sure, he's only six but he likes to talk about these things, ok?  Finding myself a tad humorous at the moment, I spout out something like, "yeah, you're going to college...but Zuzu?  nah, she's going to jail."  She was there.  She didn't react much.  Gage and I laughed.  It was over.

Or so I thought.

Then, a few weeks later we're walking home from the park and Gage is on one of his *I don't want to grow up* kicks.  Out of nowhere he announces that he does not want to go to college.  At which time Zuzu follows, rather nervously with, "and I don't want to go to jail!"

Honestly, I had no idea where she got that from.  I walked a bit in silence racking my brain to figure out where that came from when BOOM.  I found it. 

Oops.

I explained that no, she wasn't ever going to jail and that mommy had just been joking.  Zuzu, in fact, would go to college just like her brother.  Done?

Nope.

Tonight as we're getting ready for bed the subject of college comes up again.  Zuzu turns to her Grandma and asks, "is college like jail?"

Imagine Grandma's surprise.

1 comment:

rjb said...

College life does have "bars"...just stay on the right side!