Saturday, November 20, 2010

la petite baleen

Zuzu. Our strong willed, I can do anything you can do... and damn well better than you can daughter.  

We didn't start her in swim lessons until she was nearly three.  Her older brother was in swim classes before he could walk.  Why?  Well, I *think* we both assumed that she would just see what he was doing and jump on in.  She was going to be a fish (ok, a guppy) before she could even talk.  I was sure of it.  The girl is fearless and, quite frankly, she thinks she's the shit.  Swimming was going to be a no brainer for her especially with her big fish brother already swimming the length of the pool at three.  

But it wasn't long before I learned we were terribly, terribly wrong.

She hated swimming. Loved the pool. But hated swimming. Scared her to death. And ironically, we have one of the only two pools on our block.  They are far from common around these parts and being that her Dad and I both grew up in Florida we beat all odds when we actually stumbled upon a suitable house... with a pool.  And now this.  A kid that was terrified to swim.

We were on our fourth swim school this past Winter, early Spring, when I finally threw my hands up in the air, fired off an email to the teacher... and quit.  It was too much stress.  For both of us.  I couldn't do it any more.  When she was ready I said, she'll swim.  

And two weeks ago, at swim school number five.  She swam.  She cried her eyes out and required special attention.  But she swam.  And then again today, at lesson number two, she swam.
But today, she LOVED it. 

All in due time...

1 comment:

Pat said...

Beautiful picture