Saturday, August 30, 2008

I am a good mother

No. I am a great mother. But that didn't stop my four year old from darting in front of a moving vehicle tonight. Thanks to an attentive stranger, Gage is sleeping soundly and physically unharmed in his bed tonight.

I was not going to blog about this tonight. I shut down the computer and headed to bed but I just can't turn the event off in my head. I am blogging for two reasons. One, yes, I hope to achieve some sense of catharsis and two, I hope to make sure this never happens to anyone I know.

Gage knows damn well how dangerous cars are. Almost more than anyone, but that did not change the decision he made tonight to turn and run. He looked one way, but not the other. I was standing right next to him. There were two other adults, three other children and a dog with us. Not one of us noticed until the car screeched to a halt directly next to where we stood happily chatting on the side walk.

I am normally so neurotic about the kids safety. I had Zuzu within arms reach but I never dreamed that I would need to be watching Gage so closely. No matter how many times you warn or preach or show by example, it can happen. Tonight was my proof.

I am thankful for the complete stranger who was evidently aware of the large group gathered on the sidewalk. I am thankful that the Gators played today and Gage still donned his bright blue jersey and orange pants. I am thankful that the sun was still shining brightly in the evening sky. And I am thankful that we all learned a valuable lesson without anyone getting hurt.

Please don't let this happen to you. Those of us standing there, and those of us feeling guilty about not being closer, will ever forget the sound of those tires or Gage's voice as he ran to me sobbing, "I don't want to die".

1 comment:

Pat said...

A heart wrenching story - I can still hear the tires of the car that stopped short - and feel my breath catch in my chest as I stood at the kitchen window.
You told it so well - I had been afraid to ask. Too reminiscent of the past.