Tonight at dinner we dined on our favorite rotisserie chicken from a local restaurant. Towards the end of the meal I saw the wishbone on Scott's plate so I picked it up and showed it to the kids. Briefly, I explained the process of breaking the wishbone, stressing several times that it's strictly a superstition, but that it might be fun to try it. Especially on New Year's Eve.
So I told the kids to make a wish. And then I strategically gave Zuzu the bigger half. (Gage, if you are reading this ten years from now, I'm sorry. You are clearly stronger and more competitive and I had to give the poor girl a fighting chance.)
So they grasped and they pulled. And they broke the wishbone. And Zuzu, surprise!, ended up with the larger half.
Immediately we began reiterating that it's only a superstition and that doesn't mean that either wish will or will not come true. Then Zuzu giggled and said, "Oh, mine won't come true. My wish was just a fairy tale." And then she proceeds to tell us her New Year's wish.
"I wished that Ariel was my Mommy."
Nice.
So I turned to Gage to ask him what his wish was. "I wished that our family would have two hundred billion dollars (or some absurd number like that... I don't remember exactly).
So I took the larger part of the wishbone from Zuzu and gave it to Gage.
We all laughed for a quick bit. No one took any of it seriously as I was afraid they might and Zuzu accepted the smaller half of the wishbone for her fairy tale wish.
When the giggling subsided I asked Zuzu,
"If Ariel were your Mommy, then who would I be?"
"An old lady"
Nice.
"How old?"
"Oh, about twenty"
So, the family would have two hundred billion dollars, Ariel would do the actual parenting, and I could just sit back in my twenty year old body and observe? Well, hell, Happy New Year to me!
But seriously folks. From our dysfunctional family to yours I wish you a happy and healthy new year. And as a wise friend just posted on Facebook, "I wish you enough".
No comments:
Post a Comment