Monday, August 2, 2010

stinky foot in mouth

This morning as we're loading up into the car for pre-school our just turned four year old, Zuzu, takes a quick look at my face. 

"What's that on your chin, Mommy?" 

Great.  Like I wasn't self conscience enough.  

Mommy has a "boo-boo" on her chin, I tell her (because I'm thinking the words "zit" or "pimple" might just perpetuate the conversation).  And then, clearly without thinking at all I say, "I know, it's ugly isn't it?"

I fasten her seat belt and get into the front seat.  I start the car.

"Mommy, what does ugly mean?"

The world stops.  Really?  I just taught our four year old the word "ugly" and now I need to define it for her? At 9am on a Monday?  When I am already preparing to face the gloomy morning with more than one large "boo-boo" on my face? What have I done and how could I be such a terrible influence???

So I attempt to explain that ugly is not a very nice word.  I shouldn't have said it... but sometimes people use the word to define something that is not at all pretty.  Just like sometimes people use the word stupid to describe something a little annoying when they shouldn't.

"So ugly is like Shrek, right?  Because he's an Ogre.  So he is ugly."

But is he?
Four.

No comments: