Monday, May 24, 2010

ellipsis...

Courtesy of Wikipedia: Ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, "omission") is a mark or series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word in the original text. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought, or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence (aposiopesis) (apostrophe and ellipsis mixed). When placed at the end of a sentence, the ellipsis can also inspire a feeling of melancholy longing. The ellipsis calls for a slight pause in speech.

So why am I telling you this? Well, first because I had no idea what "..." was called until tonight. (OK, well maybe I knew one day, a long, long time ago but I clearly forgot.) And because Gage is absolutely the most adorable reader ever. Tonight he read Zuzu and I a bedtime story, "Watch Me Throw The Ball!" and I'm telling you, this kid is good.  The book, part of a series of books by Mo Willems, is written as a conversation between Elephant and Piggie.  And Gage just gets it.  His inflections are right on.  He gets loud and angry when Elephant gets all riled up and he gets sweet and silly when Piggie does.  But the best part?  The ellipses. Because Gage sings them as if it's a goofy mystery and we just can't wait to find out what's next. It sounds something like this, "duh, duh, duuuhhhhhhh". And it is ADORABLE.

2 comments:

kristi said...

We love the piggy/elephant books! Last night we read Watch Me Throw a Ball. We also like "I am Going" and "There is a Bird on Your Head". His pigeon books are really cute too - we especially like The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog. Two of my other all time favorite books to read (not by Willems) are The Runaway Dinner & The Great Fuzz Frenzy. They are both available on Barnesandnoble.com

Pat said...

This piece illustrates your incredible writing ability - you know what appeals to people and how to word it. It should be shared in a wider market.